Wednesday, March 24, 2010

How to Register with Your Consulate When Travelling Internationally

Yesterday, I posted an update I received via email from the U.S. Consulate in Merida.  It got me to thinking that I should pass along the following info as an FYI:
  • Did you know that countries recommend registering with your consulate prior international travel or living?  By notifying your consulate of your international travel/move, they will know that you are within a particular country should a crisis strike (i.e. hurricane, flood, earthquake, etc.) and can better assist you in notifications, evacuations, etc.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, at the time that you register, you also have the option of receiving email updates pertaining to the country in which you are traveling or living -- like the one that I posted yesterday.  These notifications are infrequent -- they aren't flooding your inbox with junk -- and I have found them to contain very useful information.  (I assume that other countries' consulates offer the same type of notification system.  Feel free to leave a comment here on the blog if you know this to be the case.)

Links to Register for International Travel:
  • U.S. Citizens
  • Canadian Citizens
  • Not intending to leave out other countries -- but this list is endless.  If you know your the link to your country's registration website, please leave it as a comment for others to reference.

Twitter and Facebook Readers can view the original post and leave comments at: